Despite an ever-increasing amount of cyber threats, businesses still hold off from investing in managed security services until they are close to or have experienced a breach of data.
This blog will go into detail about managed security services (MSS) or security as a service (SECaaS) and why using a managed security services provider is a more cost-effective security solution to an individual business or corporation implementing it on their own.
What is Managed Security Service? (MSS)
Managed security services is the management of a company’s IT security needs and their overall IT security process. Security services are generally provided as part of a set of IT managed services and can be completed in-house or through a third party which is more commonly known as a managed security services provider (MSSP).
Why Use Managed Security Services?
Managed security services are extremely useful for organisations that want:
- Intrusion detection systems
- Firewall setup
- Patch management and upgrades
- General security assessments and audits
Benefits of Managed Security Services
The major benefit to any business using managed security services, is the satisfaction in knowing your business is covered by IT security experts 24 hours of the day. Other advantages of managed security services are:
- Cost effectiveness when compared to investing large amounts into an in-house team
- Advanced tools & resources available to keep up with newest types of cyber attacks
- Specialists in online business protection and detecting potential threats early
- Continuous testing, for example, security scans and penetration tests
Types of Managed Security Services
A few examples of the types of managed security services Abacus supply are:
Security audits, design and consulting
- Carrying out security audits help to identify potential security problems
Disaster backup & recovery
- MSSP’s offering this service can help you configure a firewall, set up secure remote access to company email, company data and implement secure remote access with virtual private networks (VPN).
Security planning and compliance
- Full risk assessment and defining a network security strategy will assist in lowering or completely eliminating the likelihood of future attacks and threats
Firewalls and VPN solutions
- VPNs provide a secure way to connect with remote workers and other satellite offices through the internet. Firewalls prevent unauthorized incoming and outgoing network traffic
Traffic and system monitoring
- MSSP’s use advanced monitoring software like tripwire and snort that can detect hacker attempts
- MSSP’s create virus prevention strategies and only use the top brands of virus and spam protection software
Pricing Managed Security Services
Generally, the cost for outsourcing managed security services to a third party is impacted by the extent of the IT situation and the security services that need to be provided.
Questions to Ask Managed Security Services
Prior to selecting a managed security service provider for your business, make sure you ask questions like:
- Has your company ever dealt with a business like mine before? If so have you got any testimonials?
- What skills, certification and training do your employees need to have?
- Will my business have any responsibilities to fulfill in this agreement?
What is Cloud Security?
Cloud security or cloud computing security, is control based technology that shields the data people keep online from theft, data leakage and deletion.
Why Cloud Security is Important
Cloud security is important as it protects users from having to deal with threats like:
- Data breach
- Data loss
- Cloud account hijacking
- Application security vulnerabilities
- program interfaces (API)
Is Cloud Security Safe?
There is a common misconception that storing information on your own server is safer than using the cloud. While it may feel like you have more control over your data, cloud service providers may actually be the safer solution.
The reason for this is because their staff are security experts and they will usually have high security measures in place to protect against threats.
What is A Ransomware Virus?
Ransomware is a monetary based type of cyberattack and subdivision of malware.
How Ransomware Works
Ransomware attacks occur when data on the victim’s computer becomes sealed by encryption. A ransom or one off payment (sometimes in the form of cryptocurrency) is then required for the victim to regain entry to their computer.
Types of Ransomware
The two major types of ransomware are:
- Locks certain files located within the computer or device, which blocks access to your data
- Encrypts files which prevents access to data. Decryption requires a key which is acquired by payment through cryptocurrency.
How to Avoid Cyber Attacks
Businesses looking for enhanced IT security should consider managed security services.
A few cyber attack prevention plan tips you should be following regardless are:
- Invest in improving the security system or contact a managed security services provider
- Use strong passwords and don’t use the same password twice
- Don’t leave log in details lying around
- Make sure to encrypt data on servers or in databases
- Take out a cyber insurance policy